In this post, I will try to answer all your questions about my first cruise ever, on the Celebrity Silhouette to Jamaica with Hot Chip, Warpaint,Pulp, James Murphy, Father John Misty, Sleigh Bells, Girltalk, Z-Trip, and the Black Lips, and some other people.
Q: Were PULP’s setlists different on the two legs?
A: Yes. Here is the Bahamas setlist, as reported by the able Raymond Medina:
Do You Remember the First Time? Pink Glove Joyriders Underwear Something Changed Disco 2000 Sorted for E’s & Whizz Feeling Called Love His ‘N Hers Babies Like a Friend Party Hard This is Hardcore Sunrise Bar Italia Common People
And the Jamaica cruise went more like this, according to me and the ripped piece of notebook paper I found in a jeans pocket:
Do You Remember The First Time?
Sorted For E’s and Whizz
F.E.E.L.I.N.G. C.A.L.L.E.D. L.O.V.E
His n’ Hers
Like a Friend
This is Hardcore
Q: What kind of fucking nerd cares about that sort of thing?
A: This one.
Q: When did you know you were at a Coachella event?
A: When I saw a girl with white denim cutoffs and a bra sitting in a whirlpool, watching James Murphy DJ.
Q: Did Jarvis Cocker remark that it was Jean Genet’s birthday on Dec 19?
A: Yes, but he did not perform any of “The Maids”, as I had hoped.
Q: Who is the hungriest member of Pulp?
A: Steve Mackey always seemed to be in the late-night buffet. Always. I mean, so was I, but still.
Q: Was there cool-ass art on the boat?
A: Yes, some hilarious Christian Marclay pieces I’d seen at Seattle Art Museum years earlier, but also some Damien Hirst and Gilbert & George and Richard Serra- a very British selection, on the whole. Really cool.
Q: Did you take bunk acid on the boat?
A: Yes, but in my defense, I thought the world was maybe ending.
Q: Did you really think the world was ending?
A: No, but I like acid, and I’m sorry it was bunk. Frank Mojica wasn’t sure, but he was wearing an eyepatch at the time.
Q: Were the staterooms really big enough for four people to share?
A: No, not unless they really liked each other and didn’t mind sleeping with parts of them inside of their friends.
Q: Was it sad that you went stag?
A: No, I met up with a tremendous group of people and had many funs, including an opera singer, a fabulous girl from my town and a mentally deficient gap-toothed Scouse!
Q: Who are the most obnoxious members of any international group?
A: Australians! I think it’s because they’re in the wrong hemisphere, and feel that there are no repercussions for their actions. That being said, they are very hot.
Q: Did you get seasick on the boat?
A: No, but I could sometimes feel it move, which made drinking all the more sensible, so that I could feel like I do when I’m drunk on land.
Q: Remember when Pulp had the lightshow with the dolphin in it?
Q: What song did Hot Chip end their set with when we thought the world was maybe ending?
A: Prince’s 1999
Q: How many bars did Virginia take to identify 1999?
A: Two bars.
Q: Who are the cutest and spookiest and rockin’est girls on earth?
Q: What are your predominant thoughts when surrounded by young, wealthy hipsters?
A: I wish I was skinny enough to wear unflattering clothing. Is shit-weed a type of weed? Because that’s what it smells like in here.
Q: What does it look like when there’s a Coachella party on a pool deck in the middle of the ocean?
Q: Is the cruise ship food as great as everyone says?
A: No, but it’s extremely available! There is pleasure in walking drunk out of a show and eating french fries at 3 in the morning.
Q: Is it OK to have sex with the cruise staff?
A: NO. Only band members and fellow cruise attendees, which is not fair, given how many of the waitstaff were hot Italians. Apparently, if you sleep with a staff member (heh), they put you both out on a life raft labeled SHARK FUD to fend for yourselves.
Q: What do you do if someone breaks up with you before a cruise?
A: Find someone who looks just like them and have sex with them, it’s a lot simpler!
Q: What was the funniest thing that happened the first day?
A: Overhearing a pretty hipster girl berating a barman for having Grey Goose as his top shelf, and then she mixed it with Red Bull. Pick a lane, Amber!
Q: Did you find that, despite your own suspicions about yourself, you loved being on the beach in Jamaica?
A: No, the reef bit my feet and I don’t like being hot or dirty. That’s why I never went to a Coachella in the first place! And the lunch was served two hours after ordering, which meant that some of the people in our group had died.
Q: Were the two cruises, to the Bahamas and Jamaica, a financial success?
A: According to the rumors I heard, no. Both legs went out at half capacity, which made for GREAT shows where people filed gently into their seats and respected each other, but apparently $5 million was lost on the venture.
Q: Did you enjoy Jarvis’ Powerpoint lecture on song lyrics?
A: Yes, he pointed out that lyrics don’t really matter, which makes it strange that he became a lyricist- but Pulp has always been more about atmosphere than turn of phrase- he made me laugh with a Shakespearean reading of A Hard Day’s Night, which is by Livepool’s second most-popular band, the most famous and popular being Echo and the Bunnymen.
Q: What are some of the hilarious lyrics presented as possibly being obscene words to the Kingsmen’s Louie, Louie?
A: “Each night at ten, I lay her again
I fuck my girl all kinds of ways
And on that chair, I laid her there
I felt my boner in her hair.”
Q: What prizes did Jarvis hand out for a music quiz at the end of the lecture?
A: Pieces of clothing he no longer wears, including a suit worn, and torn, on the Jimmy Fallon show. Amazing.
Q: Was Pulp the Most Important Band On The Boat to you?
A: Is it that obvious?
Q: Do you want to see Josh Tillman of Father John Misty sing R. Kelly on Karaoke?
Q: Do you still have the listing of band-related activities onboard?
A: Yes! Here it is, straight from 2012:
• REAL WINE: A NATURAL TASTING – Come try a selection of the best Natural Wines with hosts JAMES MURPHYand fellow oenophile JUSTIN CHEARNO. Additional $20 fee for this tasting required. Wines featured will also be available for purchase on board.
• DESERT CREW – Ever wonder who’s behind the scenes and how we put these festivals on year after year? Here’s your chance to go behind the curtain and find out. Be part of an intimate dialogue between moderator JASON BENTLEY and some key players within the Coachella world. They may even answer some of your questions.
• ALL HANDS ON DECKS – A highly trained professional will guide you through a live DJ tutorial. Then some of you will get to DJ or run the decks. Each participant will receive their very own S.S. Coachella Poster with their name prominently featured in the lineup! *sign up available at S.S. Coachella customer service desk.
• DEAR DIARY – It’s time to have a good laugh at your unrequited middle school love or that time you stole your bff’s squeeze. Scan and send us the juiciest bits from your cherished diaries. Are they in a dusty box? Call Mom! Selected entries will be read live for all to enjoy, by a very special guest. (It was Har Mar Superstar!)
• BOATS N’ CRAFTS – The Coachella Art Studios convoy invites you into our euphoric, free D.I.Y. arts n’ crafts workshop. This is where if you can imagine it – you can make it, and if you can make it – you can take it. Chop and screw new fashion accessories, make a zine, upcycle materials and much more. Open 5 hours a day most days.*no sign up required, come on by!
• MIDNIGHT MOVIES – Come get shlocky with GIRL TALK in the Celebrity Central Theatre! Ghost Ship will be screened on the Bahamas leg (12:01am 12/18). Open Water (12:01am, 12/21) and Under Seige (12/01am, 12/22) will be screened on the Jamaica leg.
• POINTER SISTERS – We all know SLEIGH BELLS’ ALEXIS KRAUSS comes correct with her style. With help from nail master RIA LOPEZ, you can too! S.S. Coachella staffers will buff your stuff and hand you over to Ria to do her thang. You’ll have two chances per cruise for this activity.
• IT’S A BEAUTIFUL MORNING – Rough night at sea? Dust yourself off and get your day started right with a hearty *Bloody Mary or refreshing *Michelada on our pool deck with the ladies of WARPAINT! You’ve got a lot of bands to catch! *Cocktails must be purchased. *sign up available at S.S. Coachella customer service desk.
• LAZY BINGO – B34, G52, N48. Stop by and play some Lazy Bingo with special guest caller GRIMES. One hour per cruise up on the beautiful lawn club. $5 per bingo card or 4 cards for $15. Fabulous prizes to be won!
• EXCERPTS – Join J Tillman (FATHER JOHN MISTY) as he reads passages from some of his favorite pieces of literature. An intimate affair located in Michael’s Club on Tuesday for Bahamas or Saturday for Jamaica, followed by an audience Q&A. *sign up available at S.S. Coachella customer service desk.
• SNOWBALL BAR CRAWL – Get to know your fellow shipmates. Start in small groups, move on to a designated location where you’ll meet up with more groups and so on. As you progress, groups snowball until there are more people than you can count. We won’t spoil the surprise.
• S.S. MINNOW PUB CRAWL – Are you a Ginger or a Mary Ann? Dress as your favorite shipmate & tag along with THE BLACK LIPS on a tour through the ships finest bars. Watch out, Skipper! 2 hour aprox. crawling time, once per cruise.